Tuesday 29 April 2014

photo album

While thinking of ways to make my idea more easily understandable, I came across a photo album chronicling to early days of my parents' relationship. I then decided that a photo album would be a good way of contextualising a narrative series of images , doctored in the same way as I intended for my hippocampus idea, only now would be a tale of more sustained memory loss under conditions like Alzheimer's or dementia.

I took a series of family photo style images though only a few were successful so I used some older photos to show a younger subject.

After a series of failed attempts at photoshopping photo album style portraits, I decided to physically alter old photo album photos of my father and me as a baby. I wanted to illustrate blocks of memory being lost so literally cut out blocks of the image and had them filtering away . I tested a few different ways of altering the image further, with bubbling by holding a lighter underneath etc . I settled on scraping away parts of the face with a blade .

I added words from the point of view of the per) suffering from memory loss ,questioning who the occupants of the photo are. To further understanding of the context of the photos.

I think my project is somewhat lacking in something , it didn't quite articulate the ideas as eeffectively as. i hoped.

To improve it I should have spent more time in the photography stage making the images look more polished, I had s small window to stage a photo with my real time dad and the staging of the photo of a much younger couple( hiding the face to hide the fact its not a younger dad).  I would have liked to have implimented the cutting out in a slicker manner also.

No comments:

Post a Comment